Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Sawtooth Relay

Way back when, well 2006 or so I sort of fell in love with running. That year I ran my first marathon. In preparation for that marathon I trained for and participated in The Sawtooth Relay which is a race that starts in Stanley, Idaho and finishes in Ketchum, just outside of Sun Valley. This year I was lucky enough to run in the relay again, and with a great team. I ran one of the same legs and a new leg. My favorite leg of the race is The Galena Summit leg. This leg is very challenging with a total elevation gain of 1,331 and 5.35 miles. The trade off for all the running up hill is an amazing view. I also ran leg 11 which was fast and fun.
Theron & Christina headed up Thursday afternoon and found us a great camping spot just below Pettit Lake. We spent Friday afternoon relaxing and catching up with our good friend Phil & his girlfriend Karen who work in Stanley during the summer months.

Phil & Karen

Whenever Mike, Phil, & Theron get together it always equals TROUBLE. Here they are hamming it up for the camera. DORKS!

Cora & Breckin spent the afternoon, fighting over, I mean playing with Breckin's 4-wheeler. They had a great time taking turns pushing each other and riding on the 4-wheeler together.


Our team, Team Kalimotxo, was made up of The Hudsons, Theron & Christina; Jess, Pam, Bridget & Derek, & myself. Christina's sister, Ericka was our lovely volunteer.
Because my 1st leg was half way through the race I had the luxury of sleeping in until whenever Cora woke up. Not so for my teammate Theron who began the race at 0445. Below are a bunch of photos from the day before the race and the race itself.


That's me starting up the beginning of the hill

Here I am coming across Galena Summit

D, Mike & Cora just past the relay transition point at Galena Summit


Christina & Cora along the race course

By the time we finished Cora was done with having anything to do with anything but sleeping so rather than taking photos at the finish line I was trying to feed her something and get her back into the truck so she would sleep on the drive back to our campsite in Stanley. On Sunday morning all of our team/friends had to drive back to Boise. But before they all left Cora & Breckin had lunch together. Then the two of them had to play a game of Bocce ball. I think Breckin won, because this is Cora all sorts of pissed off.

Mike and I were lucky enough to have the next couple of days off so we decided to stick around and visit Red Fish Lake. Red Fish Lake is one of my most favorite places in Idaho. We were there on a lovely Sunday afternoon and they had live music just outside the lodge. Cora had a great time exploring the beach, so much fun that she decided to go swimming. It just so happened that I didn't pack any extra clothes for Cora that day so I had to go and buy her the only infant sized piece of clothing in the general store. At least she got a cute pair of PJ's out of the deal. It was a great weekend for the relay. The weather was beautiful and the company was great too. I hope to run the race again next year.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I can't believe you ran the summit leg of the race and another long leg! You are CRAZY! :) But a good kind of crazy. I've run that race twice and I always picked the long flatter sections. The kids looked like they had a great time too.